Korean Canadian Symphony Orchestra will hold its '2nd Concerto Competition' to select soloists for the 'Young Artist Series' for the upcoming spring concert.
Date: October 23 (Sunday)
Time: 1 - 3 pm
Venue: Edithvale Community Centre
(3 lights west of Yonge & Finch, SE corner of Finch Ave. W. & Edithvale Dr.)
Music: 1 movement of a Concerto (pianist to be supplied by a candidate)
Entry Closing Date: September 30
The winners will have a chance to perform with KCSO in the next 'Young Artist Series' concert.
The number of the winners will be decided by the KCSO music director, Richard Lee, depending on the musical skills of the candidates.
The winner (or winners) may play just one movement or the entire concerto, again decided by the music director.
There may not be any winners if the candidates' musical skills do not meet the expectations of the music director.
The candidates are expected to send their bio and a recording (CD or electronic copy) to the KCSO office either by email (email@example.com) or Canada Post (28 Finch Ave. W. #204 Toronto ON M2N 2G7)
The winners of the first screening will be notified by Sunday, October 9th via email.
Please call Myung Sook Kim (416-850-7511) if you have any questions regarding the Concerto Competition.
In 2001, KCSO had a special concert with a theme of “East meets West”. As the name implies, we invited few Korean traditional musical artists including pansori and haegum and they performed with the orchestra. It was a very special experience and was a great success. We plan to do it again some time soon.
2003 was the 40th anniversary year of establishing a diplomatic relationship between Canada and Korea. Korean Canadian Symphony Orchestra held a concert to celebrate the occasion sponsored by the Korean Embassy. Korean Canadian Symphony Orchestra is acknowledged as a leader in the musical organization in the Korean community.
KCSO has been awarded a prestigious “Korean Heritage Award” for its contribution to the Korean Canadian Community in November 2007.
- Reception for “Korea Day” celebration at Consulate General of Korea,
- Reception for Groundbreaking Ceremony for Dr. Schofield Statue at Toronto Zoo (2007)
- Held a concert at “Asian Festival” organized by University of Waterloo in 1998
- Charity concert to raise funds for Korean Canadian Children’s Scholarship Fund.
- Charity concert to raise funds for Castleview Nursing Home Kitchen Building Fund.
- Charity concert to raise funds for North Korean Relief.
- Charity concert to raise funds for Korean Canadian Cultural Association
- Reception for “Korea Day” celebration at various venues including ROM, Metro Convention Centre, The Great Hall at the Hart House organized by the Consulate General of Korea
(2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007)
- Reception for South Korean president Kim Young Sam in Toronto (1994)
- Reception for South Korean president Roh Tae Woo in Ottawa (1990)